Re: Separation of configuration and control - good or bad?

Larry Menten quoted Keith saying:
>"I think a problem with this would be that the write-option tag would have to
>be an attribute of elements that are not defined by this group and will not
>be defined by this group. ... "

Yup, but the draft can talk about the nature of the data and how it is
manipulated without talking about the specifics of the data. The ability
to perform attribute-based operations would be a formal 'capability'
expressed by each peer (in their <capabilities> list).

>"... The write-option tag would be mixing the protocol
>used to transfer configuration data in with the configuration data itself."

Mixing data-as-element with operations-as-attributes gives a powerful
combination, IMHO. The element hierarchy specifies the source or target
in a natural syntax and the operations can be added or removed with
simple rules.

Thanks,
 Phil