Re: Misunderstanding of SOAP message and protocol binding

Karl Auerbach wrote:
On Mon, 12 May 2003, Larry Menten wrote:

<?xml version='1.0' ?>...

The above is an example from the SOAP 1.2 Recommendation, just so that we
all know what is being described as an Airbus.

Karl: If you would provide a comparable example or be more precise about
what you feel is redundant we can debate this more meaningfully.

If all that we are talking about here is using the SOAP envelope without
the "Header" element and without SOAP's processing model than I have far
fewer concerns.

I do have concern that those of us here do not all share the same
conception of what parts of SOAP we are talking about.  For example, there
was mention the other day (and I believe in this thread) about SOAP's
fault response mechanisms - those are part of the RPC (and "Header"
element) of SOAP and are in addition to what is shown in your example.

Part of the reasons that I ask the questions that I ask is to try to
clarify what parts of this elephant we are talking about.

I am proposing that we create bindings that are appropriate for the transport.  If the transport is
HTTP, then I would use the SOAP RPC and fault response mechanisms.  If the binding is for BEEP,
I would apply those specifications that do not overlap or conflict with BEEP mechanisms.

(By-the-way, the more complete version of your example may be found in the
SOAP 1.2 part 1 document at
http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/PR-soap12-part0-20030507/ )
The header in that example is optional which is why I omitted it.

		--karl--

--
Larry Menten               Lucent Technologies/Bell Laboratories
Phone: 908 582-4467        600 Mountain Avenue, Murray Hill, NJ  07974 USA