From: Allen, Keith [mailto:kallen@tri.sbc.com] Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2003 1:25 PM
To: 'Larry Menten'; xmlconf
Subject: RE: XMLCONF usage guidelines are flaw

Larry Menten writes:

For an example, the following representation of OSPF configuration
is compact, allows the XML parser to enforce the uniqueness of attributes
of the configuration elements and can be compactly parsed within the device
using a very compact implmentation of a SAX parser:

<ospf id="135.104.52.1">
<area id="0" type="nssa">
<interface id="135.104.52.3" helloInterval="10" deadInterval="40"/>
<interface id="135.104.54.2" helloInterval="10" deadInterval="40"/>
</area>
</ospf>

If the area element had an "attribute" that could not be expressed by a
simple text string, then and only then would you include it as a sub
element? For example, suppose we wanted to represent IP addresses with a
special syntax instead of a text string, how would you accommodate that?

Keith Allen
SBC Technology Resources
9505 Arboretum Blvd.
Austin, TX 78759