Re: more flexible write-option alternative

Keith,

Since the attribute would reside in a separate namespace,
I would argue that it is not part actually of the definition of the
managed elements that are yet to be defined.  It is true
that the schema extensions for the new elements might have to
accommodate the presence of the attribute for the element.  However,
the spec is already placing some rather arbitrary requirements
on the undefined elements already, such as the avoidance of
attributes and the creation of elements to group members of arrays.
Requiring support for the op attribute is very mild in comparison.

As it stands, the protocol is in some ways less functional than SNMP because
it limits what can be expressed as an atomic operation.

I would argue that it is critically important that the protocol  be able to
flexibly express the modification of multiple variable values in a single
atomic operation.  IMO, the goal of greater expressiveness in managing
devices is a primary goal of this effort.

Larry

Allen, Keith wrote:

Larry Menten writes:

IMO, the write-option tag should be an attribute of the target element that
is to undergo the operation.

I think a problem with this would be that the write-option tag would have to
be an attribute of elements that are not defined by this group and will not
be defined by this group. The write-option tag would be mixing the protocol
used to transfer configuration data in with the configuration data itself.

Keith Allen
SBC Technology Resources
9505 Arboretum Blvd.
Austin, TX 78759