RE: netconf WG charter proposal

At 11:09 AM 4/12/2003 -0400, Harrington, David wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I suggest that netconf should not address these additional usages, but should consider them in its design so as to not preclude addressing them later by reusing the netconf protocol solution.

There have been several people (at the BOF and in email)
that have stated that it is very important to retrieve
some state data with the same protocol as they use send
and receive configuration data.

The people against this capability cannot explain (even a little)
why retrieving ifOperStatus is somehow different than retrieving
ifAdminStatus.  The evidence I have seen so far (i.e., proprietary
XML solutions such as JunoScript) suggest that no special mechanisms
are needed to retrieve state data vs. retrieve config data. What
evidence do you have to suggest otherwise?

>my $.02
>dbh

Andy