RE: netconf WG charter proposal - data model or not?

At 12:31 PM 4/6/2003 -0700, Faye Ly wrote:
>Randy,
>
>I really don't think setting and retrieving of the state data is a big
>hole that is not being addressed by both network device and NMS.  SNMP
>serves the purpose quite nicely with the exception for 'accounting' type
>of data.  But I don't see a lot of screaming and yelling for this type
>of support anyway.

I think it is useful to be able to retrieve state data with
the same protocol that is used to edit configuration. Several
people at the BOF said the same thing. I think the data retrieval
will be used for lightweight operations, like checking interface status.
I don't think SNMP developers that have already written comprehensive
monitoring applications will rewrtie their code to use netconf instead.
Router vendors are not going to pull out SNMP monitoring support because
of netconf.

>(Do you?)
>
>Your statement 'overly describing something we don't do' is a very sharp
>observation!  We are suffering from lacking a very clear vision on how
>this configuration protocol is going to turn out without using any data
>model.  I think of the data model as the use case that needs to be feed
>into the design as the requirement.

I disagree that we don't know what an XML data model might
look like.  Look at the XMLCONF examples. Look at the Junoscript
draft.  Several vendors are already creating XML data models
on their own.

> But I am also seeing quite a few NM
>veterans willing to put in their time to get the working group and
>protocol going.  Note that each brings with him/her experience that will
>help sanity check the protocol once we get it going.  As I said before,
>we all bring certain data model in our minds to examine how the protocol
>fit anyway.  I actually don't see it as a big issue anymore.  But please
>correct me if I have interpreted your comment wrong.
>
>Best,
>
>-faye

Andy