Re: netconf WG charter proposal

</ad-hat>

> Configuration of networking devices has become a critical requirement for
> operators in today's highly interoperable networks.

configuration of networks of devices

> The Netconf Working Group is chartered to produce a protocol
> suitable for network configuration, with the following
> characteristics:
>
>    - Provides a clear separation of configuration data
>      from non-configuration data

is this necessary to the task?  clearly universally achievable?

>    - Is extensible enough that vendors will provide access
                      be willing and able to ^
>      to all configuration data on the device using a single protocol

>    - Has a robust transaction model, based on remote procedure
>      calls (RPC)

s/based on/using/

i.e., is rpc merely an element of the transaction, or a direct
mechanism for providing transactional semantics?

>    - Can be easily integrated with existing configuration
>      database systems

rofl :-)

>    - Suitable for IP-reachable network devices

hmmm, are we sneaking in non-internet devices here?  e.g., i
configure my 10kv power station and transmission system via ip?

> fully addressed to develop standard data models, only a small part
> of this work will be initially addressed by this group:
>    - identification of principals, such as user names or
>      distinguished names
>    - XML namespace conventions
>    - XML usage guidelines

you lept right into xml as the solution here without previous
warning

> The working group will use the XMLCONF Configuration Protocol

s/use/base its work on/

>   MAY 03    Working Group formed
>   JUL 03    Submit initial Netconf Protocol draft
>   JUL 03    Submit initial Netconf over BEEP draft

optimistic

randy