Re: Charter items

On Friday, Mar 28, 2003, at 11:27 America/Montreal, Allen, Keith wrote:
My concern is that the protocol work alone won't be enough
to allow support tools to begin to emerge.
Several operators have built tools already -- using the JunOScript
XML stuff, which is a bit different from the current Enns I-D.

So there is an existence proof that the Enns I-D ought to be more than
sufficient to build some support tools.

If company A decides they are going to use OIDs in their XML schema, and
company B decides they are going to use URLs, and company C decides they are
going to use something else, can one toolkit support all of these
approaches?
Yes, since the toolkit would be (is, in the case of the JunOScript
toolkits that exist today) a "how to move the config gorp around" toolkit,
not a "panacea" toolkit.

If you've got specific detailed concerns, please do put them on the
table so that they can be reviewed. However, given the existence of
some operators who have tools today for a similar (but somewhat different
in details) XML transmission mechanism (e.g. the one in JunOS), non-specific
concerns are hard for me to treat very seriously.

Ran
rja@extremenetworks.com