From: Romascanu, Dan (Dan) [mailto:dromasca@avaya.com]
Sent: Monday, March 24, 2003 9:53 AM
To: RJ Atkinson; Andy Bierman
Cc: xmlconf@ops.ietf.org
Subject: RE: Goals for netconf - moving towards the charter description

Ran,

I am confused about the distinction that you are making between 'IP-centric' devices and the rest. To what category belongs a router with different types of interfaces (Ethernet, ATM, Frame Relay, etc.)? Today for example an Ethernet bridge or router is managed via SNMP over IP, not SNMP over Ethernet. I am concerned because it is not clear yet whether we will use one single data model for configuration management, faults management, performance management, etc. (I think we should). What you seem to be saying is that we might even use different protocols for different types of interfaces on the same device. Am I mis-understanding?

Thanks,

Dan