From: Glenn Waters [mailto:gww@nortelnetworks.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 8:34 AM
To: Andy Bierman; Chen, Weijing
Cc: Xmlconf (E-mail)
Subject: RE: Perspective: XML's ticking time bomb

Yow! I agree completely.

Said very succinctly, we need a framework with:
- transport
- session
- security which includes authentication, privacy, and access control
- protocol operations
- schema definition language (e.g.: XML schema)

We do not need common models to start. Having just the above framework will allow for access to information that is easy to parse and perhaps easy to use -- a big step over where we are today with CLI, SysLog, etc. which are difficult and error prone to parse.

In the future we can start to think about whether we want to define common models.

Cheers, /gww