From: Chen, Weijing [mailto:wchen@tri.sbc.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 8:43 AM
To: 'Andy Bierman'
Cc: Xmlconf (E-mail)
Subject: RE: Perspective: XML's ticking time bomb

Andy:
>> I think the problem is more complex than you describe.
Any re-engineering effort has to be cost-justified or it won't happen.
The overall reduction in operational cost has be greater than the
perceived cost of the re-engineering effort.  This is rarely true
for converting a solved problem from proprietary to standard technology.

It is indeed more complex than what I described as I simplified the case
bit.  The moral of story is that the complexity and cost of
re-engineering
pre-standard solution to standard solution must be reasonable enough to
justify the migration from both vendor and service provider aspects.
The
most of software cost is development and testing.  Therefore, simple to
implement and straightforward to test MUST have higher priority over
other
nice-to-have features such as processing efficiency, bandwidth
efficiency,
etc.  Hey, we have gigahertz processor, gigabits memory, and gigabit
network
everywhere (sort of).

Weijing