From: Juergen Schoenwaelder [mailto:schoenw@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de]
Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 12:22 PM
To: david.durham@intel.com
Cc: xmlconf@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: Perspective: XML's ticking time bomb

>>>>> Durham, David writes:

Dave> Nevertheless, there are many examples where translations are
Dave> possible. Typically, we are concerned with scenarios where a new
Dave> protocol or technology is developed. The technology and its
Dave> related standards would dictate what the management interface
Dave> exposes. If the technology is well-defined and implemented in a
Dave> similar way across products, it follows so would the semantics
Dave> of the underlying management model.

New technology and especially the control and management aspects are
by the very nature of being new not well defined. When I wrote code to
configure VLANs on several bridges, the fact that the proprietary MIBs
used different ways to create / delete rows and different enumerations
for similar things was nasty but not a real problem. The real problem
are semantic differences, different ways to name vlans, different
parameters required on different boxes, different ways to associate
them to interfaces, ...

I believe this is the hard problem - at least when I used SNMP to do
this. Sure, if I do screen scraping, then I first need to solve the
syntactic problem before I get to the hard problem... ;-)

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder
<http://www.informatik.uni-osnabrueck.de/schoenw/>