RE: Perspective: XML's ticking time bomb

Bert,

That is a very good article.  I admit I went back to this mailing list's
archive and got lost in the multiple mail threads.  So what is the
conclusion on moving forward for this group?

I think I tend to agree that XML is a superior language over MIB but the
fact that we are missing 'management object' on many things such as -

Service provisioning/ subscriber provisioning
fault isolation that is transparent to the underlying transport method

Sort of similar to the effort of snmpconf (for provisioning only) that
is currently missing.  I actually think it is in-relevant if we do it
using XML or the good old MIB.  The important thing is to come up with
consensus on the management model.  If XML can help with the majority of
the people to better understand and thus expedite the process, then
let's go with XML.  I think this is actually the time to organize the
effort around coming up with standards for:

1. provisioning
2. fault isolation
3. performance monitoring
4. othrs such as file management, upgrade and etc ...

And let each group come up with the management model first, XML and/or
MIB later?

What do you think?

-faye