RE: [midcom] MIDCOM MIB design question

Hi JS,

Thank you for your comment.

I don't think you're on the wrong track. I agree strongly with you on
this and have been working to educate people on this viewpoint. Thank
you for also pointing this out.

The WG has selected SNMPv3 as the protocol (as the result of a
comparison of five existing IETF protocols), but most of the WG are not
very SNMP-savvy and have difficulty conceptualizing the solution in SNMP
terms. Many people in the WG come from environments where they think in
terms of control protocols, and continue to conceptualize the problem in
terms of a "MIDCOM protocol" that happens to run over SNMP, rather than
thinking that SNMPv3 **is** the protocol.

Sometimes this non-SNMPish view of the world makes it much harder to
design the MIDCOM MIB. The current discussion is partly due to thinking
of the solution in terms of a MIDCOM protocol distinct from SNMP.

Oh well.

dbh