Re: questions on smilnt error

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 Kalyan.Tata@nokia.com wrote:
> 	I have the following error in the MIB we are planning to submit.
> 	I can't seem to find a way to resolve this. I will appreciate
> 	any help identifying what the problem is.
>
> --- Snippet from MIB ---
>
>     vrrpAssoIpAddrEntry OBJECT-TYPE
>         SYNTAX       VrrpAssoIpAddrEntry
>         MAX-ACCESS   not-accessible
>         STATUS       current
>         DESCRIPTION
>             "An entry in the table contains an IPv4 address that is
>             associated with a virtual router. The number of rows for
>             a given ifIndex and VrId will equal the number of IPv4
>             addresses associated (e.g., backed up) by the virtual
>             router (equivalent to 'vrrpOperIpAddrCount').
>
>             Rows in the table cannot be modified unless the value
>             of `vrrpOperAdminState' is `disabled' and the
>             `vrrpOperState' has transitioned to `initialize'."
>
>         INDEX    { ifIndex, vrrpOperVrId, vrrpAssoIpAddrType,
>                    vrrpAssoIpAddr }
>         ::= { vrrpAssoIpAddrTable 1 }

This is just a warning that the variable-length indices are not
sufficiently constrained in size to guarantee that the OID of a
column instance will never overflow the 128 sub-ID limit imposed by
the SMI and the SNMP.

You might be able to make the warning go away by putting in SIZE
constraints on the variable-length indices (certainly
vrrpAssoIpAddr, maybe vrrpOperVrId). But these days the MIB doctors
generally prefer to document the constraints in the row object
DESCRIPTION clause something like this:

| ipAddressPrefixEntry OBJECT-TYPE
|     SYNTAX     IpAddressPrefixEntry
|     MAX-ACCESS not-accessible
|     STATUS     current
|     DESCRIPTION
|            "Inet prefix entry.
|
|             Implementors need to be aware that if the size of
|             of ipAddressPrefixPrefix exceeds 114 octets then
|             OIDs of instances of columns in this row will have
|             more than 128 sub-identifiers and cannot be accessed
|             using SNMPv1, SNMPv2c, or SNMPv3."
|     INDEX    { ipAddressPrefixIfIndex, ipAddressPrefixType,
|                ipAddressPrefixPrefix, ipAddressPrefixLength }
|     ::= { ipAddressPrefixTable 1 }

When there is nore than one variable-length index component, the
text might read something like this:

|             Implementors need to be aware that if the total number
|             of elements (octets or sub-identifiers) in
|             of inetCidrRouteDest, inetCidrRoutePolicy, and
|             inetCidrRouteNextHop exceeds 111 then OIDs of column
|             instances in this table will have more than 128 sub-
|             identifiers and cannot be accessed using SNMPv1, SNMPv2c,
|             or SNMPv3.

Notice that in the last case above it's impossible to cure the problem
with SIZE constraints since one of the variable-length indices is itself
an OID, which cannot have a SIZE constraint.

//cmh