Re: RFC3637 ETHER-WIS MIB module name

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 05:50:18PM +0200, Frank Strauss wrote:

> >> Is it a bug or a feature that the ETHER-WIS MIB (RFC 3637) is named
> >> ETHER-WIS and not ETHER-WIS-MIB? [...]
>
> C> [...]
> C> As for the history, ETHER-WIS was the module name that Mike Ayers
> C> chose in an early WG draft, and I left it as-is when I took over the
> C> editing duties.  The recommendations on module names in the MIB
> C> review guidelines came somewhat later.  I never changed the name
> C> because no one asked me to and because it did not seem to me to be
> C> a very important issue.
>
> Ok, thanks for the clarification. I was just wondering, because it is
> a newly published MIB module (not an update), and amoung the >180
> published IETF MIB modules, there are just three "*-TC" MIBs, four
> very old SMIv1 MIBs, and the HOST-RESOURCES-TYPES module, which is
> also not a "typical" MIB, as the only exceptions. Anyway, I'm too
> late, so I'll have to shut up now. :-)

I just committed a path for libsmi so that it checks module names
more carefully and warns you in case you do not follow the suggestions
in the guidelines. This should help to catch this next time.

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany