Re: [802.1] MIB definitions for Link Aggregation

On Wed, 14 May 2003, Les Bell wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I have a doubt about the MIB recommonded in IEEE 802.3, 2000
> appendix
> 30C SNMP MIB DEFINITIONS for LINK AGGREGATION.
>
> I copy-pasted the relevant information here for your reference.

A reference to the whole MIB would probably be helpful for those of us not
familar with the module in question.  I'm assuming this is the correct
link:

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/publication/ad/IEEE8023-LAG-MIB.txt

>        ::={iso member-body(2) us(840) 802dot3(10006)
> snmpmibs(300)
>            linkagg(43)}

In the version referenced by the above URL, linkMIB is defined with an OID
that doesn't include a descriptor for the last subidentifier, but is
otherwise equivalent:

    ::= { iso(1) member-body(2) us(840) 802dot3(10006)
          snmpmibs(300) 43 }

These are the same OID.  The "linkagg" in "linkagg(43)" doesn't actually
mean anything.  It doesn't define or register anything.  It's only for the
reader's benefit.  Without seeing some other MIB module registering
1.2.840.10006.300.43 to some other definition, I would assume that the OID
is correct as it appears.

A more interesting thing of note, however, is that "802dot3" is illegal.
Even though those descriptors don't define anything, they still must be
valid identifiers, starting with a lowercase letter, if this
"NameAndNumber" form is used.

--
Michael Kirkham
www.muonics.com