RE: draft-ietf-ops-mib-review-guidelines-01.txt is now available

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Andrew Smith wrote:

> I make particular objection to Andy's statement that these are
> "practical guidelines on how to configure these programs to check a MIB
> so it will meet IETF expectations". This is newspeak for "if you don't
> buy or otherwise procure these products, you won't get your MIB past the
> MIB quacks and/or IESG members". It also implies that the standard is
> not sufficiently documented. I don't think IETF should be making such
> implications (the latter, if true, needs fixing).

For what it's worth, I agree with this view.  I don't think it is the
intent of the as-written text to advocate two products (that happen to be
the work of two of the MIB Doctors) over all others, but I can easily see
that being the result anyway for a non-MIB-Doctor reading the document.
If not "if you don't buy or otherwise procure these products, you won't
get your MIB past..." then at least "given the choice of all the different
products out there, if you only buy one, this is the one you should buy
because this is what the MIB Doctors use."  Doesn't really seem
appropriate for an RFC.

--
Michael Kirkham
www.muonics.com