Re: Some additional obscure questions...

Hi -

In this case, RFC 2578 isn't "silent".  It's not terribly explicit, but it DOES say:

| 3.2.  IMPORTing Symbols
|
|    To reference an external object, the IMPORTS statement must be used
|    to identify both the descriptor and the module in which the
|    descriptor is defined, where the module is identified by its ASN.1
|    module name.

The question is whether that last phrase is the definition or an example.

> > Though this might be a useful extension to the SMI, I think the language as
> > described in RFC 2578 doesn't support it.
>
> I think the language described in RFC 2578 doesn't really talk about it.
> I'm inclined to believe it's legal in ASN.1, but it's tough to choose
> between "SMI is silent, so follow ASN.1" or "SMI is silent, so ignore
> ASN.1 completely".  (These choices would all be much clearer if the SMI
> specs were fully self-contained.)

Even though ASN.1 permits it (I just checked the 2002 version,
http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/studygroups/com17/languages/x680-x693_0702.pdf
via http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/en/standards/index.htm, check the grammar in
the appendixes), the text in RFC 2578 section 3.2 doesn't seem to
support it, though it would be nice to know what the authors think.

Randy