MPLS: draft-gan-fast-reroute-00.txt

Scott and Bert:

Sorry about the delay (I was dragged away in the middle of this). Here
is our argument for considering this draft. We think the draft covers in
MPLS WG, and can be extended to other WG's (such as the WG for GMPLS) as
well. If you need any information regarding this draft, please let us
know.

Thanks!

- Ping Pan

NAME OF I-D:

A Method for MPLS LSP Fast-Reroute Using RSVP Detours

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~pingpan/papers/draft-gan-fast-reroute-00.txt

SUMMARY

   In this document, we introduce a method to establish backup MPLS LSP
   tunnels in large-scale networks. Two additional RSVP objects are
   proposed. These objects together make possible for routers using RSVP
   to create detours that can route around downstream links and nodes.
   As a result, an LSP can quickly and automatically repair itself,
   while redirecting the user traffic to the pre-computed and pre-
   established detour routes in event of network link and node failures.
   Packet loss is therefore minimized.

RELATED DOCUMENTS

http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-rsvp-lsp-tunnel-08.txt

http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-swallow-rsvp-bypass-label-01.txt

WHERE DOES IT FIT IN THE PICTURE OF THE SUB-IP WORK

MPLS and CCAMP

  Applications         +-------+  +-------+        (new) Hour glass
  that use CCAMP: \    | TE-WG |  | PPVPN |  ...           /
                   \   +-------+  +-------+               /
                    \     +----------------------+       /
                     \    |         CCAMP        |      /
                      \   |-----------+----------|     /
                      /   |   C       |    M   --|------ IGP LSA ext
                     /    | control   | measure  |     \
                    /     +----------------------+      \
  Technologies to  / +----+ +----+ +----+ +----+ +----+  \
  measure/control:/  |MPLS| |OPT | |RPR | |ATM | | FR |...\
                     +----+ +----+ +----+ +----+ +----+

WHY IS IT TARGETED AT THIS WG

One of the goals for MPLS WG is to address methods for MPLS LSP traffic
protection and recovery. Thus we believe this is within the scope of the
MPLS WG. The proposed method provides an unique mechanism that can
reroute traffic over one or multiple congested links and/or nodes. Since
the detour LSP's are not label stacked, the mechanism therefore can be
applied in both traditional data and wavelength (lambda) networks.

JUSTIFICATION

MPLS LSP fast-reorute is critical for network operation. There have been
different proposals on label fast-reroute, however what we present here
is very generic and simple to implement. It's very effective in the real
networking environment, and has already been deployed in several
backbone networks. For future vendor compatibility purposes, we think
this document should be seriously considered by the WG. Since the design
and implementation have been done, we hope it can be presented and
further evaluated in the IETF, before advancing it to standard track.