<CCAMP> <draft-krishnaswamy-optical-rsvp-extn-00.txt>

NAME OF ID:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-krishnaswamy-optical-rsvp-extn-00.
txt

SUMMARY

   We propose an extension to RSVP-TE that would permit setting up
   OCh (optical channel) connections whose paths form a topology that is
   independent of the control layer topology. This separation of an OCh
   connection path and the associated control layer network may be
   necessary for many reasons.  First, it may not be possible to provide
   a control channel connection to each one of an optical network
   element (ONE)'s neighbor - for many reasons explained in Sec. 2.
   Secondly by providing the means to signal OCh connections
   through different multiple control paths, we achieve network
   resilience against control channel failure. We propose a new
   extension to RSVP-TE called Lightpath Route Object (LRO) which is a
   list of nodes along OCh connection path. This is carried in the Path
   message by RSVP-TE as an Opaque Object for interpretation and use by
   the optical nodes. This facilitates setting up OCh connections
   between nodes that have no adjacency at the IP layer.

   Mechanisms like LSP hierarchy which enables creation of a new IP
   forwarding adjacency based on LSP tunnels is not a scalable
   architecture for large optical networks. Bidirectional LSPs need to
   be setup for each new IP adjacency (and advertised by IGP) before we
   can setup lightpath LSPs. Issues like latency in lightpath connection
   setup (due to the need to setup LSP tunnels first), establishing and
   maintaining hierarchical LSPs etc. are other factors that make this
   approach unsuitable for large optical networks. As a matter of
   implementation, most optical networks are provisioned by
   point-n-click method and incorporating mechanisms to setup multiple
   LSP tunnels for each lightpath setup would make the automation
   difficult.

RELATED DOCUMENTS

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-rsvp-lsp-tunnel-08.txt

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-generalized-signaling-04
.txt

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-hierarchy-02.txt

WHERE DOES IT FIT IN THE PICTURE OF THE SUB-IP WORK

   CCAMP
   C (control)
   MPLS

WHY IS IT TARGETED AT THIS WG

  This work proposes extensions to an existing signaling protocol
  (RSVP-TE) to enable setting up OCh connections (path dis-joint from
  control layer) using MPLS technology. Hence it is clear that the scope
  of this work is within the charter of the CCAMP WG.

JUSTIFICATION

  CCAMP is chartered to work on signaling protocols such that they can
  support setting up OCh connections in optical networks. GMPLS
  Signaling Functional Description draft enables specifying desired
  connection parameters. What we feel is missing is the ability to
  specify the full lightpath list (which may not have IP forwarding
  adjacency) and mechanisms to establish such a connection. This will
  enable a true separation of control and data plane topology, a
  necessity in large optical networks.