Re: [idn] Chinese Domain Name Consortium (CDNC) Declaration

At 01:32 PM 2/4/2002 -0800, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:
>Of course, the character variant problem exists in many different
>languages, not just in Chinese. Because of this, each registry or zone
>that includes IDN names needs to make decisions about name equivalence
>(and therefore multiple registrations) before they enter any IDN names
>into their zone. Based on this input during Working Group last call from
>the CDNC, it seems clear that we need to explain these points more in the
>IDNA document.

This approach has some major benefits.

1.  It acknowledges the basic issue.

2.  It moves the handling of the issue to a venue better able to resolve it.

3.  It avoid major complexities being added to the IDN/DNS protocol.

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464