[idn] Voluntary transliteration labels

James,

Transliteration can be based on a voluntary concept as soon as we have a
standard allowing it to be displayed if need be.

One such method could involve the addition of a transliterated label in front
of the i-d-n domain label. The transliterated label would have suffix showing
that is merely represents a transliteration. Depending on user configuration,
i-d-n-aware browsers would hide the transliteration they are able to display
the native string.

Example: The TLD zone file contains "bq--ACEstring.net" [where "ACEstring" is
the ACE the native 'ZhuangZhenHong' string. Instead of "www." you would add, say,
"JamesSeng--tl." as a 3rd-level label in front of it on your own name server.
The suffix "--tl" would be the i-d-n marker for transliteration labels. Your
web server and email would then run under "JamesSeng--tl.bq--ACEstring.net"
- by your own choice. You would, of course, have been free to use
"Pinkdragon--tl", even if it has nothing to do with the ACE string, or any
other 3rd level label.

Non-i-d-n-aware clients would show "JamesSeng--tl.bq--ACEstring.net"; those
who can would display 'ZhuanZhenHong.net' in simplified Chinese
script. They might have "JamesSeng" shown in ASCII as a screen tip on
mouse-over.

The choice of the transliteration rule itself would be up to the user, and
the transliteration would require any space in the 63 characters available
for the i-d-n domain label.

The only thing needed in the i-d-n standard would be a declaration that a
certain suffix (e.g. "--tl") is used to represent that this label is
the transliteration of the one appearing to its right.

Regards,

Werner