[idn] World's Leading Registrar, Network Solutions To Introduce MultilingualDomain Name

all:

It appears that we have been misled as to the value of our participation
in the multi-language testbed. Apparently Network Solutions Registrar has
declared how multi-language will work superseding the Verisign Registry,
ICANN, the registrars participating in the ML-Testbed, and with
complete disregard to any IETF standards on the process of managing
Multi-language Domain Registrations.

For the complete announcement see http://www.nsol.com/news/2000/pr_20001003.html

I am completely perplexed as to how NSI Registrar is able to traverse
these issues without inside support from the NSI Registry. Not only am I
alarmed, but I am concerned for the integrity and stability of the
Internet put in jeopardy by Versign/NSI disregard of the standards and
consensus processes.

As NSI stated in their press release "The Internet is never going to look
the same." and thats exactly what I am worried about. Even more
interesting is that the Registry announcement of the testbed's start date
has not even been announced! NSI Registry won't even tell other Registrars
the date an announcement will be made.

I call upon ICANN to provide some oversight into the process of the
multi-language domain name testbed ASAP and for ICANN to ensure that the
standards and consensus processes are strictly adhered to by all parties.

regards,

-rick