RE: [idn] Requirements I-D (draft-ietf-idn-requirements-04.txt)

*****

> > using internationalized names instead of ASCII hostnames for all of
> > the above services,

*****
no, this is what the sentence above is trying to NOT say; the concept of
using internationalized names instead of ASCII hostnames with the *present*
service is something we try NOT to say.
It tries to say that IDN is a NEW service.

The difference is that if the service is new, it is 100% clear that a
client must know whether he is using the new or the old service. Getting
"new" answers is something the client MUST expect if he is using the "new"
service.

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, alvestrand@cisco.com
+47 41 44 29 94