Re: [idn] Internationalized PTR draft submitted

At 10:43 18/09/2000 -0700, Rick H Wesson wrote:
>why are you on this language bent? If we have UTF-16 which represents
>*all* languages why do we need a "tag" which can't be enforced to let us
>know what language the name is in. In fact the name could be in many
>languages.

for another standard that found a language-picking function to be
necessary, see RFC 2596: Use of Language Codes in LDAP. M. Wahl, T. Howes.
May 1999.
      (Format: TXT=17413 bytes) (Status: PROPOSED STANDARD)

Both the "display the right one" and "find based on one language's name"
concerns featured heavily in the debate.

                Harald

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, alvestrand@cisco.com
+47 41 44 29 94