Re: [idn] Internationalized PTR draft submitted

Excellent analysis. I totally agreed with Brian here.

Just like to add one point:

While the draft focus on having the ability to return multiple domain names to
a single IP (in different language using UTF-8, choose one you like), there is
also an advantage to discuss how we can encapsulate IDN names in DNS packet in
PTR records and making sure it wouldnt break the application. IMHO, one of the
most likely break-and-die in IDN is when application receiving UTF-8 domain
names in PTR when it is expecting only ASCII. And most of the time, it is
embedded in the core infrastruture such as routers, mail gateway etc etc.

So far, no one/company/testbed has attempted to put UTF-8 in PTR. It would be
interested to see what would break.

-James Seng