[idn] Re: back to the future

	or just what IS that thing anyway?

	the ":"  in what encoding method?

	We've had this discussion a couple of times
	before and -always- end up in semantic ratholes.

	Patricks ":" is conceptually different than the http ":".
	To paraphrase from the good Doctor, speaking as
	HumptyDumpty; "Glyphs mean want I want them to mean. The
	question is who is to be master?"

	Pick an encoding.

% James Seng <James@Seng.cc> wrote:
% > If RACE or some encoding which does not 7bit ASCII as-is is been
% > choosen (in otherwords, UTF-8 is out), then it _may_ be possible for
% > domain names to have ":" or punctations with some consideration put in
% > place without causing too much havoc.
%
% When I type http://foo:80/ into my browser, should it interpret that
% as host foo port 80, or as an internationalized host name containing a
% colon?  How would I specify the other?
%
% AMC

--bill