Re: [idn] IDNRA comments

> | Keith found the same problem when he pointed out one of the advantages
> | with the IDNRA proposals (from my point of view) and that is that the
> | ACE encoded domainname is not only sent from the resolver in the DNS
> | packages, but also used by the applications in the protocols. That
> | means that an application have to be able to do nameprepping.
>
>   Does anyone have any sense of what the ratio is between applications
> that are doing simple get{host|node}by{name|addr} vs. more direct
> execution of DNS queries and response handling?

I think that's the wrong question.  Most applications use the library
routines.  But for an application to support IDNs it may also need
to be able to accept them as input, display them, transmit them to
other applications, etc.  And in many cases this will not be as easy
to do with IDNs as it is with ASCII domain names, since the character
encoding used for native representation of IDNs will probably not be
the same as is ordinarly used for input, display, or transmission to
other applications.

Keith