Re: [idn] New protocol proposal: IDNRA

James Seng wrote:

> You are right. So perhaps we could add a statement:
>
> "As RACE could either be rendered in ASCII or I18N glyphs, rendering
> engine for RACE SHOULD have an option for user to select the preferred
> display."

How about:

"Since RACE can either be rendered as the encoded ASCII glyphs or the
proper decoded character glyphs, the rendering engine for RACE SHOULD
have an option for the user to select the preferred display."

> > This can be discussed further, and the best API should be chosen. The
> > important issue for _this_ draft is that the API used is a different
> > than what is currently used.
>
> My take that if the API is in UTF-8 as compared to UCS-4, then
>
> Application takes native, convert to Unicode, convert it to UTF-8 to
> pass onto Resolver. Resolver then take UTF-8, convert it to Unicode, do
> all its funky nameprep, and convert it to RACE.

I'm going to get picky here.  I don't know what "convert to Unicode"
means.  Do you mean "convert to UTF-16"?  Or "convert to UTF-32"?  Or
something else?

Andrea
--
Andrea Vine, avine@eng.sun.com, iPlanet i18n architect
"A bibliophile is a lover of books; a bibliomane, a wildly enthusiastic