Re: [idn] New protocol proposal: IDNRA

At 10:59 PM 8/27/00 -0400, John C Klensin wrote:
Deploying a new application is, due to the nature of the
Internet and the end to end principle, fairly easy.   Upgrading
one has proven to be much harder (e.g., MIME and the SMTP
extensions offered a lot to users, but I'd guess we are still
well under 90% penentration of competent and conforming
implementations nearly seven years out).  And changing
infrastructure --and the DNS and its protocols is certainly
infrastructure-- is much worse, since both the servers/resolvers
and the applications need to be upgraded.

This observation is the key to discussions like these.  The expectation that the world will switch to a new DNS in a year or two does not have any historical precedent.  (Gopher vs. web does not work well as an example since there were multiple experiments at the time and gopher was merely one, and gopher was not heavily ingrained in an infrastructure.)