Re: [idn] New protocol proposal: IDNRA

At/À 14:05 2000-08-27 -0700, Paul Hoffman / IMC you wrote/vous écriviez:
>At 10:43 AM -0400 8/27/00, Marc Blanchet wrote:
>>At/À 16:23 2000-08-27 +0200, Patrik Fältström you wrote/vous écriviez:
>>>At 14.22 +0800 00-08-27, James Seng wrote:
>>>
>The last ten years of Internet experience has shown that this generally
>works well. Those of you who were active on the Internet about seven years
>ago remember the rapid and near-complete transition from gopher to HTTP
>that took place in less than two years.

because the user got more.

>Where Patrik and I differ is the length of time it will take for 90% of
>the people to upgrade their the applications that will use IDNs. I believe
>it will be more on the order of one year, not ten. Where he and I agree is
>that, if the IDN protocol requires that many DNS severs and caches need to
>be upgraded, getting to 90% might take ten years or more. (If you question
>this, look at the fact that over 10% of the DNS servers running BIND are
>still running version 4, even with all of its well-known security holes.)

because the user doesn't get anything directly if its
company/isp/organisation upgrades its bind server.

same for ipv6: slow deployment (but steady) because no direct (a lot of
indirect actually) advantage for the user. A user don't want an ip address,
he wants a service.

but idn, whatever ace or dns or directory, effectively gets something to
the user. So, I think, using your http example, that if the user community
ask and wants it, then this will put the whole industry
(software/isp/whoever makes products/services that can use idn) in driving
to get more $$$ from the end-user.

my point here is: I think whenever we compare the proposals, we should be
very careful when we state about that one will be deployed faster than the
other. no one knows that. We can state what the technical implications of
the deployment are for each proposal, but not the speed of the deployment,
which is more a market/policy/... kind of statements.

so, I think idn has a business case (as shown by many companies already in
this business) and will drive, whatever (mostly) technology ietf decides to
standardize, unless the wg do not converge soon or we really choose the
worst solution (which hopefully will not happen! ;-)))

only my ohmo.

Marc.

Marc Blanchet
Viagénie inc.
tel: 418-656-9254
http://www.viagenie.qc.ca

Normos (http://www.normos.org): Internet standards portal:
IETF RFC, drafts, IANA, W3C, ATMForum, ISO, ... all in one place.