RE: [idn] NSI Multilingual Testbed Information (fwd)

At 09.59 -0400 00-08-27, J. William Semich wrote:
>The IETF has made a strong statement WRT the use of UTF-8 in
>internationalizing names on the Internet. That's all I've said.

The IDN wg is one of the places where I see that one _SHOULD_
question the RFC in question. Maybe the reasons in RFC 2277 are not
valid in the case of the DNS protocol? Maybe other arguments are
stronger than the ones listed in RFC 2277?

Also, as one of the persons which planned the workshop which ended up
being RFC 2277 (I didn't participate as Bunyip Information Systems
already had a person participating, the IAB member Chris Weider), I
can tell you that DNS was _not_ one of the protocols one considered,
but rather protocols which transfer text  between computers, such as
SMTP and HTTP.

Part from this detail, I am fully supporting Ran, Paul, John and
James (among others) which try so hard to get you, Bill, to
understand what this all is about. So, I don't see I have to comment
the other email in this thread.

    paf