Re: [idn] New protocol proposal: IDNRA

Paul,

A few comments:

a) Section 2.1.1

   If you accept any charset here, and lets presume RACE is charset,
   then I don't see why the neccessity to put additional restriction
   on RACE.

   I suggest rewording the second paragraph to

   "Application MAY allow RACE input and output. Any charset, including
   RACE, choosen MUST be supported by a proper rendering engine to
   display the glyphs correctly."

   This means the application can decide to support RACE I/O so long
   it can render RACE into glyph (and that is possible).

b) Section 2.1.2:
   Is there any particular reason that UTF-8 is used at this level
rather
   than the more commonly wchar_t for API?

   As IDN implementor, i used wchar_t internally as I need not waste
   CPU cycle converting UTF-8 char to wchar_t while doing my nameprep.

c) In between 2.1.2 & 2.1.3, there should be an intermediate caching
   servers. It would be better if there is a section describing how
   caching servers should behave.

d) In Section 3, you mention "New/Old Application/Resolver". By reading
   the draft, I guess you presumed that

   1. New Applications are applications which can I/O I18N characters
      and call the new resolver API. It SHOULD NOT convert to RACE
      (altho it MAY).

   2. New Resolvers are resolvers which can take Unicode characters,
      nameprep it, convert it to RACE before capturing it into DNS
      packet and shoot it out.

   I suggest you have a stronger defination on the behavior of this
   or at least capture it down in the I-D.

   A real problem which occurs out of this is Microsoft product.

   Win2K has a "new resolver" feature except it spit out UTF-8.
   IE5.0 is also a "new application" which also spit out UTF-8.
   Combine this two together, you get UTF-8^2. *doh*

   This may be less concern if we are using RACE. This is because
   RACE^2 = RACE. (Yes, go try it :-)

-James Seng