RE: [idn] NSI Multilingual Testbed Information (fwd)

Paul:

At 01:41 PM 8/26/00 -0700, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:
>At 4:13 PM -0400 8/26/00, J. William Semich wrote:
>>It is important to point out that NUBIND's
>>support for UTF-8, as stated in my earlier comment, is the result of our
>>decision to follow current IETF standards for IDN under RFC2277:
>
>You have, again, misused the term "IETF standards". RFC 2277 is very
>clearly not a standard: it is a Best Current Practice.

...as is RFC 2026. Meaning we should ignore them both?

>From RFC 2277:

1.  Introduction

   <snip>

   This document is the current policies being applied by the Internet
   Engineering Steering Group (IESG) towards the standardization efforts
   in the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) in order to help
   Internet protocols fulfill these requirements.

Semantics aside, if the IESG is applying these policies, then, as a
developer, these are the policies upon which I should base my code - one of
which is a "MUST" on support for UTF-8 in the protocol.

Bill Semich
.NU Domain