Re: [idn] Unicode security issues (fwd)

At 16:10 25/08/00, Bill Manning wrote:
> A break from our discussions of registrars experimentation with
> one form or another of multilingual support.
>
> It seems that use of unicode itself will inject new integrity/security
> concerns if/as it is deployed in the DNS.

No.  Those issues are handled as part of canonicalisation/normalisation
of an IDN.  It would still be possible for someone to implement badly,
such that there are residual buffer overflow issues, but that would be
an implementation shortcoming (though worth warning against in a
Security Considerations section), rather than a protocol or standards
problem.

Ran
rja@inet.org