Re: [idn] Unicode tagging

> > I'm not sure why SOA records should be a big issue in any case.
> > If email addresses in SOA records remain in ASCII, this doesn't
> > seem like a big problem - since they exist for operational purposes
> > (where having globally-usable addresses seems like a huge advantage)
> > and they are not normally seen by users.
>
> In fact SOA records are likely to be easy since they appear only in the
> RDATA (on the right hand side) and so don't need to be compared (so
> canonicalisation and downcasing will only be used for optimisations such as
> name compression).

the problem isn't what you do with them in DNS; the problem crops
up when either a human being or a computer program tries to copy them
to email and finds that the email system either (a) (today) doesn't
support non-ASCII email addresses or (eventually) (b) doesn't use the
same encoding for non-ASCII email addresses.

Keith