Re: [idn] UTC feedback

>One other note. I am not familiar enough with the DNS server structure, but
>in other situations I know of the server maintains 2 strings for each name.
>One is the "ideal" way the name should be spelled. The other is the
>canonical name, which is a canonicalization of the ideal name.
>
>That way, the ideal name could be "MyCompanyName.com"
>while the canonical version is "mycompanyname.com"
>
>When you query the server for identity, your string is canonicalized
>(somewhere), and then compared with the canonical form on the server with a
>fast, binary comparison. If, however, you query the server for what the
>name is, you get back the ideal name. That way the user interface can
>present the "ideal" spelling, and yet the server will accept a host of
>different variations: "Mycompanyname.com", ... This can help to reinforce
>the "proper" spelling.
>
>This is, of course, ONLY necessary if you want to allow for that second
>query. That's where I don't know whether this is either desired, or
>possible, with current protocols. So I am not suggesting that this be the
>case, just inquiring!

As it works in DNS today, the server will only have one version:
"MyCompanyName.com" in its database. During matching the DNS server will
match that name using the canonical form of it. To query to get
the "ideal" name you do a reverse query. A reverse query returns the
data as it is stored in the database, not the canonical form.

   Dan