Re: [idn] scope of work

>> Keith Moore wrote:
>>
>> all of the above presumes that we're using a modified version of DNS
>> rather than some new protocol.  if we do it with a new protocol then
>> we could investigate alternate approaches.

Keith,

        It would be a very fine thing if the Internet had a directory
system that was separate from DNS.  I'm fully on board that it would
be a great advance and I'd really like to see it happen.  :-)

        However, this particular IETF Working Group is actually chartered
to modify the existing DNS to handle Internationalised Domain Names,
rather than devising a different directory system.  So I'd suggest
that discussion of that other directory system be moved to a different
mailing list.  If you tell me where that list lives, I'll happily
join it.

Regards,

Ran
rja@inet.org