Re: [idn] UTC feedback

At 20:53 16/08/00, Andrea Vine wrote:
>This is a problem.  If someone in an English-speaking company registers their
>cafe as "thecafe.com" and someone in France registers their Tea Café as
>"thécafé.com", and a user types in THECAFE.COM, well...but I can't believe that
>a French user would do this on a regular basis.  Then again, I'm not a French
>user, and I don't know what the usual train of thought is when handling accented
>characters.
>
>Any French folks on this list who can talk about this situation?

        This is not just a French issue.  It affects multiple languages
which share many of the same glyphs and yet have different case rules.

        For example, most glyphs valid in French are also valid in
Vietnamese.  However, diacritical marks MUST be preserved regardless
of case in Vietnamese Quoc Ngu.  Without the diacritical marks
in Vietnamese, it becomes a very different (unrelated) word with
different meaning and a different pronunciation.

        Internationalisation is a challenging space.

Ran
rja@inet.org