RE: [idn] compatibility chars in draft-ietf-idn-nameprep

At 1:35 PM -0400 8/16/00, RJ Atkinson wrote:
>At 12:23 16/08/00, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:
>
>>Just to be clear, this is saying that the user interface can allow
>>any input (which is the IETF way of doing things), but it MUST NOT
>>pass any character that has a compatibility equivalent to the
>>*input* of the nameprep step. Is this what folks are agreeing to?
>
>         I don't understand your proposal in sufficient detail
>to answer yes or no.
>
>         I think that mundane applications using the network
>OUGHT NOT to have to know much about DNS rules, which specifically
>means that I think it would be reasonable for some random application
>to pass a prohibited character into the DNS resolver library's API.
>
>         It would then be an implementation choice whether that
>particular resolver library converted the prohibited character
>into the fully equivalent legitimate character (with or without
>notification to the application) or whether it returned an error
>(with or without details on which character was prohibited).

If the name preparation was being done in the resolver library, then
the proposal to prohibit characters with canonical equivalents would
not match your scenario. If the name preparation was done in the DNS
servers, then the proposal would match your scenario.

This is why I'm being so picky here: it depends on where we do name
preparation. The proposal to ban characters with compatibility
compositions on input to the nameprep step is in contrast to the
proposal that we were discussing, which would allow them as input to
the nameprep step but prevents them from getting to the output. Both
proposals would have the same result, but obviously have different
characteristics for the user and the creator of the nameprep software.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium