Re: [idn] Unicode tagging

At 1:12 PM -0400 8/16/00, Edmon wrote:
>At 11:30 AM -0400 8/16/00, Edmon wrote:
>>  >uniform byte-length characters are extremely beneficial to DNS and we
>should
>>  >try to preserve it in the protocol.
>  >
>>  Could you elaborate on why this is true? In the applications that
>>  mandate using UTF-8, no one has been unable to implement it.
>>

>The reason as I have indicated is the need to have a character count.

What "need" is that? Where is that a requirement?

>  > >We dont know whether some day we might go beyond UCS-4.
>>
>>  This is just plain silly. In fact, it is likely that we will only
>>  need a tiny fraction of the space allowed by UCS-4, and there are
>>  moves by ISO to make that clear.
>>

>I dont think we want to be too sure.  We see today how difficult it is to go
>from ASCII to multilingual, it is our responsibility to create a system that
>will be useful and flexible for the future.

If you are going against the wisdom of ISO and the Unicode
Consortium, I think it is incumbent on you to propose a solution so
we can see if it is better than theirs. Give us some idea (and maybe
even numbers) about the problem, and then propose a solution.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium