Re: [idn] Unicode tagging

> > the function of DNS is to provide a mapping from easily-typed,
> > easily-transcribed, and perhaps easily-remembered text strings onto
> > information needed to locate Internet services.
>
> not quite.  the dns protocols care nothing for easily-typed, easily-
> transcribed, or easily-remembered text strings.  any old crufty gibberish
> is fine with the dns.

the protocols themselves don't restrict things in this way, which is
entirely appropriate because neither the protocols nor the implementations
could do a good job of determining whether a particular dns label
met those criteria.  and the criteria might change over time.

but the DNS service (which is after all the reason for the protocol)
does exist for this purpose.

> i do not mean to be overly pedantic, but we need to remember that the main
> issues here are application issues.  only when we have sorted them out can
> we see what, if any, unusual needs trickle down to the dns itself.

actually, the main issues here are the human interface issues.  we
won't get the protocol right unless/until we understand these.
we need to be clear about the kind of service we are trying to
provide to humans, even if we recognize that the protocol shouldn't
attempt to force people to stay within the bounds of reasonable use.

Keith