Re: [idn] Unicode tagging

At 10:00 16/08/00, Keith Moore wrote:
>I think the basic idea is that labels should not be significantly
>more restricted in one language than another just because the on-the-wire
>representation of certain languages might take up more space than others.

Conceptually this is fine; it was the previously proposed
implementation of this concept that is seriously broken.

>But I don't know how to define a length limit that applies
>across all languages and is fair to all of them.

Concur.  I seriously doubt it is actually practical to define
and implement a length limit that is fair to all language forms.

>Maybe we just need to make sure
>that the on-the-wire representation of labels is large enough to
>accomodate reasonably-long labels in any language.

This seems reasonable.  We ought to ensure that the on-the-wire
protocol is not unduly restrictive on the length of labels.

Ran
rja@inet.org