Re: [idn] Prohibiting characters in draft-ietf-idn-nameprep

Hi Paul,

Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:
> - Form C preserves the uniqueness of characters, some of which are
> visually indistinguishable from each other. This, in turn, causes
> surprise when a user asks for a name with a character such as U+F900
> and is told that there is no such host because the host registered
> with U+U+8C48, which looks identical to U+F900.

I do not know anything about UniCode, and therefore I would like to know
from you if it ever happens that two identical signs (based on the whay
they are displayed => graphical identically) are translated to two
different unicode signs?

If this is the case wouldn't it make more sence to find an translation
which translate the graphical look into a code (in opposition to the
meaning of the sign)?

If it were the case the graphically-identically looking "names"/signs
should be recogniced as beeing different, we would have to create
translations of all languages in the world.

Two examples where the current represenation also would fail:
* cat (catalysator)
* cat (cat)
and
* kind (species)
* kind (nice)

I think that such we should decode uniquely-displayed characters, and
not unique meanings af words.

--
Regards,
  Martin Djernæs

Martin Djernæs                    martin.djernaes@kecam-han.de
Dipl.-Ing.
Alcatel Kommunikations-Elektronik GmbH Tel:+49 (0511) 6747 741
Postfach 3246                          Fax:+49 (0511) 6747 777
30032 Hannover, Germany                http://www.ke-online.de