From: Harald Alvestrand [mailto:Harald@Alvestrand.no]
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2000 3:38 PM
To: Edmon; idn@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [idn] Adding "optional" characters in
draft-ietf-idn-nameprep

At 16:03 15/08/2000 -0400, Edmon wrote:
> > machines need to know how to translate IDNs from whatever
> > encoding they use into unicode/10646 (for queries) and back
> > (for address lookups).
> >

>That is very reasonable... why then is it not a good idea to tag the
>encoding as we have suggested in a standard and easily recognizable way?

it is not a good idea to move the nonstandard encodings over the Internet.
As I told you before: if you use an encoding with someone, you have to have
an agreement to use this encoding.
If you use an encoding without private agreement on the Internet, you
require the whole Internet to understand this encoding.

Don't send multiple encodings across the Internet.

                  Harald

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, alvestrand@cisco.com
+47 41 44 29 94