Re: [idn] Adding "optional" characters in draft-ietf-idn-nameprep

Patrik Fältström wrote:
> At 09.53 +0800 00-08-14, James Seng wrote:
> >No, I dont believe UTR15 handles what we are discussing here. Please
> >read UTR15 and come back to read this thread again.
>
> If TR#15 doesn't then we have 2 options:
>
> - Ask the Unicode people to please resolve this issue aswell, and we
> will only use whatever TR#15 talks about. This means that optional
> characters in Hebrew will be significant in DNS names -- as they are
> according to Unicode specifications.
>
> - Do our own extension to TR#15 for Hebrew and other scripts which
> "are missing" from TR#15.

Having to deal with what codepoint is allowed or not is still okay for
us (albeit easy since Unicode has done nice classification on
codepoint). This can be QED in nameprep.

Hence I am more inclined for the first option, ie. ask the Unicode
people to help us on this. (Okay, before you going to hit me with that
stick, I know there are other issues with this proposal...but I shall
leave it to Patrik to solve been the liason between IETF & UC :-)

> I see that we will need one and only one algorithm for doing
> "nameprep" and it should definitely build on what the Unicode
> Consortium has done.

I would like to see that happened but not without Unicode people input.

> What we need to build is a definition for "hostname" (bad word, but
> anyway) using Unicode characters.

Yet another definiation of "hostname" *doh* :-) I believe there is one
already in the Requirement I-D.

> I hope that the first can be the same for Unicode strings in Internet
> protocols, while the second is specific for each protocol.

Ah, I heard something about "one useful product of IDN WG is having a
defined doc on how to use Unicode characters in Internet protocol"...I
am not sure if that is a good or bad sign...

-James Seng