Re: [idn] Suggested clarifications of the IDN requirements doc

At 15.55 -0400 00-08-13, Keith Moore wrote:
>forward and reverse lookups aren't necessarily consistent even in
>ASCII DNS English names.  are we going to insist that they be consistent
>for IDNs?
>
>         at least two pilots do this. It is important to ensure that
>         both forward and reverse lookups can be made consistant.

Looking up the A and the PTR are two different operations which looks
up two different RRs.

Whether the owner of the A and the RR data in the PTR are the same
binary "thing", I don't care. It is up to the one creating the two
records.

When a person is looking up an 'A' RR, and therefore have his query
being "nameprepped" before matching the owner of the A, then looking
up the PTR, and getting back the nameprepped version of his query.
Will he be surprised or not? Or rather, will his software be
surprised or not?

The most important thing is that the nameprep algorithm is well-known
so we don't end up in the fuzzy world of "searches" instead of
"lookup", servers returning more than one record that matches.

Think about how messy it would be during the registration process
when two registered domainnames have to be different. I don't want to
relax this rule saying that it is ok to have two domainnames being
"the same". That breaks the whole idea with DNS.

Uniqueness is important.

   paf