Re: [idn] Adding "optional" characters in draft-ietf-idn-nameprep

> Just wanted to point out Arabic script also contain some diacritic which
> should be ignore. However, as the diacritic is used to symbolised how
> you should pronounce the word, the meaning of the word may varies
> depending on diacritic. But yes, diacritic is should be ignore in the
> normal language usage since the meaning is usually infered from context.
> But no, children are taught these diacritic to help them but yes, they
> slowly drop it when they grow older. Confused? *argghh*

we need language experts to answer questions like these:

in Arabic would it be reasonable for two different IDNs to have the
same "letters" (consonants?) but different diacritics?

would we then need an interface that displayed the different names
that matched (presumably, with their diacritics) and asked the user
to choose?

Keith

p.s. is there a suitable organiztion of language experts that could
be consulted on such matters?  somehow I doubt we have sufficient
expertise within this group...