Re: [idn] Adding "optional" characters in draft-ietf-idn-nameprep

At 3:29 PM -0400 8/13/00, Keith Moore wrote:
>  > a) We can ignore these characters on input (that is, toss them out of
>>  the input stream).
>>
>>  b) We can prohibit the characters on input.
>>
>>  c) We can allow them in names. This would mean that people
>>  registering names would have to register them with and without the
>>  characters (possibly in many combinations).
>
>d) we could have IDN servers accept strings with or without Hebrew
>vowels, then return records with the "correct" spelling.

This sounds like a close variation on (a). What is the advantage  of
returning a label that is different than what was requested? These
never get seen by the applications or the users.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium